Internet of Things is a future technology that will enable connected healthcare, smart homes, smart cities, and be a key factor in the next industrial revolution (Industry 4.0). According to Gartner, the number of connected devices will reach 20.6 billion by 2020.
The work done at EDI on IoT and Wireless Sensor Networks (WSN) spans multiple application areas, such as wearable devices for eHealth (CONVERGENCE, FEATURE), smart cities and infrastructures (iTrEMP, SOPHIS, 3D FABRIC, Arrowhead-Tools, INTKO, DEWI), environmental monitoring (JurSens), agriculture (SARA), and industrial or transport-related cyber-physical systems (I-MECH, ENACT). Through these IoT research projects from Horizon2020 and other programmes we have successfully cooperated with a number of European and national technology companies (Gefran, Nexperia, INDRA and others) and academic institutions (University of Latvia, Riga Technical University, University of Bristol and others).
The expertise of EDI includes:
- Design of custom embedded IoT hardware and sensors
- Software development for networked embedded systems, including the Contiki-NG and MansOS operating systems
- Low-power wireless communication protocols (Bluetooth Low Energy, IEEE 802.15.4 TSCH, LoRa/LoRaWAN and others)
The EDI infrastructure features a 100+ node IoT testbed with protocol and device testing & debugging capabilities, including dedicated hardware for energy consumption tracing on each node.
Highlights of IoT research topics at EDI include:
- Inertial sensor systems with applications in healthcare (posture monitoring, rehabilitation and others) and infrastructure monitoring
- Reliable and energy-efficient data collection from wearable devices using the IEEE 802.15.4 TSCH and Bluetooth Low Energy protocols
- Enabling robust, trustworthy and secure IoT systems through applications of the DevOps paradigm
- Converting IoT sensor data into useful information through machine learning
- Efficient machine learning methods and applications for resource constrained embedded systems
- Research and development of novel capabilities of the EDI IoT testbed