As Wireless Sensor Network and Internet of Things technologies are growing rapidly their development and testing technologies are becoming more available and easier to use. For example, cheap and wide range of prototyping platforms, testbeds and easy to use debugging tools. Most of these technologies can speed up development process rapidly though while large WSN (for example more than 20 nodes) can be tested locally on testbeds, testing in real-world environment still can be a task filled with daunting manual labor due to factors such as battery lifetime, environmental factors, radio coverage, manual reprogramming, configuring etc.
EDI TestBed is a 100+ node heterogeneous Internet of Things and wireless sensor network testbed (distributed around 7-floor building, inside and outside) for validation and research of Internet of Things and wireless sensor network protocols. It also includes 50 mobile nodes for on-site placement, for example in a factory environment or in a vehicle. We believe that this sort of approach enables developers to move their product through technology readiness level faster, more comfortably, and with more confidence in end-product quality.
EDI TestBed capabilities
- IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/p protocol testing;
- IEEE 802.15.4 protocol testing;
- TestBed workstations with attached XM1000 (TelosB-compatible) sensor nodes;
- energy consumption measurements and battery discharge simulation;
- remote simultaneous reprogramming and debugging;
- eight ADC/DAC channels for user needs;
- command line interface for easy integration into existing workflows.
More information about EDI testbed can be found at http://testbed.edi.lv