Gatis Gaigals is a researcher at the Institute of Electronics and Computer Science (EDI) since 2018. He graduated Riga Technical University (Riga, Latvia) as a radio engineer and Ventspils University College, where he obtained a master’s degree in computer science.
Has been involved in projects related to real-time signal processing and radio astronomy data processing, development of management and control systems, development of data transmission and radiolink modules, real-time multi-channel data processing. Competence in simulation, modeling, testing and validation of ICT systems in LabVIEW and Matlab; knowledge of specialized EDA software: CADSTAR, KiCAD, ISIS/ARES, CST Studio, QUCS; C, C#, Perl, Python, SQL, VHDL programming skills, as well as skills in algorithm development for GPU; CPU/uC programming skills in low level languages on Arduino, Linux, Windows and VxWorks platforms.
Scientific interest in real-time multichannel data capture and processing. Author and co-author of more than 10 scientific articles.
Participation in projects
- Advancing fail-aware, fail-safe, and fail-operational electronic components, systems, and architectures for highly and fully automated driving to make future mobility safer, more efficient, affordable, and end-user acceptable (AUTODRIVE) #H2020
- Contactless ice thickness measurement device (EDI-ICE) #ESIF
- Multidimensional room and area scanning system. (TADSS) #ESIF
- Ultra-wideband impulse radar Sensor (UPIRS) #ESIF
The most important publications
- Vaviļina, E., G. Gaigals. "Highly Reconfigurable Beamformer Stimulus Generator." Latvian Journal of Physics and Technical Sciences 55.1, 53-63, 2018.
- G. Gaigals, E. Vavilina. "Simulation of compressed sensing based passive radar for drone detection." 2017 5th IEEE Workshop on Advances in Information, Electronic and Electrical Engineering (AIEEE). IEEE, 2017.
- Gaigals, G., M. Donerblics, and G. Dreifogels. "Development of Mathematical Models for Detecting Micron Scale Volumetric Defects in Thin Film Coatings." Latvian Journal of Physics and Technical Sciences 53.2, 38-47, 2016.
- E. Vavilina, G. Gaigals. "Improved LabVIEW Code Generation" Baltic J. Modern Computing, Vol. 4, No. 1, 89-97, 2016.
- G. Gaigals, M. Greitans and A. Andziulis, "Compressive Sensing: Analysis of Signals in Radio Astronomy", Baltic Astronomy, vol.22, pp. 347-361, 2013
- Ruibys, K., A. Andziulis, T. Eglynas, M. Jusis, D. Drungilas, and G. Gaigals. Development of distributed real time data aquisition system for radio telescope monitoring. Space Research Review: 34.
- J. Trokss, A. Lesins, G. Gaigals, M. Nechaeva, Vl. Bezrukovs. Receiving system for ionospheric research. Latvian Journal of Physics and Technical Sciences, december 2012., N6 (Scopus, Tompson Reuter Web of Science, EBSCO).
- Gaigals G., Lībiete I., Bezrukovs D., Jēkabsons N. Radio-Telescope RT-16 control system. Journal of International Scientific Publications: Materials, Methods & Technologies, Volume 6. 2012.