Dr.sc.comp. Modris Greitāns has been working at EDI since 1990. Director of the Institute since 2007 (2015-2019 – Scientific Director). Doctor degree obtained in 2000 by defending PhD thesis “Reconstruction of non-uniformly sampled signals “. In 2012, elected as corresponding and, in 2018, as a full member of Latvian Academy of Science (LAS).
Research topics include signal and image processing, artificial intelligence, Internet of Things, smart transport, future and personalized medicine (intelligent wearable sensor systems), digitalization of Industry4.0 etc.
2014-2017 he led the National Research Program in ICT “Cyberphysical Systems, Ontologies and Biophotonics for Safe & Intelligent city and society” (SOPHIS), which has an important section devoted to smart embedded cooperative systems for innovative technological development. Since 1992 experience in managing and implementation of more than 20 international and more than 20 Latvian research projects, including ongoing Horizon2020 projects 5G-Route (dedicated to validate through robust evidence the latest 5G features of Connected and Automated Mobility (CAM) under realistic conditions), ENACT (dedicated to reliable and trustable operations and developments on next generation IoT), AI4DI (dedicated to use of artificial intelligence in digital industry) as well as LV-LT-TW project “RoVAM” (dedicated to smart micro-robots systems for manipulating with separate cells).
The total number of published works is more than 120, incl. 77 publications in the SCOPUS database (H-index 10); 3 registered European patents and 5 Latvian patents. Supervisor of five defended PhD and 25 master’s thesis.
Eizens Arins Award (“Eižena Ārina balva” – the most prestigious award in the Latvian information technology field, which highlights the most outstanding professionals who have made a significant theoretical contribution in computer science and practical investment by developing and implementing innovative IT solutions) in 2018;
Top Latvian science achievements, Diploma of the President of the Latvian Academy of Sciences for “An original approach for transforming the architecture of artificial neural network into Field-programmable gate array” (co-author), 2018.
Top Latvian science achievements, Diploma of the President of the Latvian Academy of Sciences for “First trips of a self-driving car in Latvian history” (co-author), 2017;
European IT Prize winner “DASP-lab system” (co-author), 1997.
Editor-in-chief of Journal “Automatic Control and Computer science”, Foreign Secretary and Board member of Latvian Academy of Science, Board member of Association of State Research Institutes, Member of the EDI Scientific Council, Latvian representative in Governing Board of the ECSEL Joint Undertaking, Member of the RTU Council of Promotion in Electronics and Telecommunications.
- Development of microrobot based on visual recognition and machine learning for manipulation of individual living cells (RoVam)
- AI-based analysis of multi-static UWB-IR radar signals for non-destructive estimation of materials and structure (MIRSA)
- 5th Generation connected and automated mobility cross-border EU trials (5G-Routes)
- Artificial Intelligence for Digitizing Industry (AI4DI) #H2020
- Advancing fail-aware, fail-safe, and fail-operational electronic components, systems, and architectures for highly and fully automated driving to make future mobility safer, more efficient, affordable, and end-user acceptable (AUTODRIVE) #H2020
- Integrated Components for Complexity Control in Affordable Electrified Cars (3Ccar) #H2020
- Trustworthy and Smart Actuation in IoT systems (ENACT) #H2020
- Ultra-wideband impulse radar Sensor (UPIRS) #ESIF
- Dependable Embedded Wireless Infrastructure (DEWI) #ESIF
- Pētījums par datorredzes paņēmienu attīstību industrijas procesu norises automatizācijai (DIPA) #ESIF
- 1.25: Research on development of mathematical model for silicon crystal growing technological process by using image processing methods (SiKA) #Contract research (Līgumpētījumi)
- Cyber-physical systems, ontologies and biophotonics for safe&smart city and society (VPP SOPHIS) #SRP (VPP)
- Project Nr.2 “Innovative signal processing technologies for smart and effective electronic system development” (IMIS) #SRP (VPP)
- Palm data acquisition and processing system (PALMs) #ESIF
- Contract research about image processing algorithm creation for recognizing of symbols combination in video stream (KoDe) #Contract research (Līgumpētījumi)
- Multimodal biometric technology for safe and easy person authentication (BiTe) #ESIF
- R&D Center for Smart Sensors and Networked Embedded Systems (VieSenTIS) #ESIF
- Development and energy consumption optimization of embedded and RFID systems based on innovative DSP technologies #LCS (LZP)
- Signal processing methods for advancements of radio frequency identification (RFID) technology #LCS (LZP)
- Development of tools for direct digital alias-free processing of RF and microwave signals with demonstrations of their application potential #LCS (LZP)
- Actions providing access to DASP technology for digital designing of Microwave and Radio Frequency IST systems #LCS (LZP)
- Development of multi-channel systems for acquisition of data from biomedical, ecological and industrial systems and transferring them to computerized systems #ESIF
- Modular High Speed X-ray Detection and Sorting Systems for Production Process Control and Packaging Quality Control #ESIF
- DASP pielietojumu pētījumi konkurētspējīgu virtuālo instrumentu izstrādei #ESIF
- Irregularized Digital Signal Processing in Telecommunications #ESIF
- A. Ancans, M. Greitans, R. Cacurs, B. Banga, A. Rozentals "Wearable Sensor Clothing for Body Movement Measurement during Physical Activities in Healthcare", Sensors 2021, 21(6), 2068. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/s21062068
- Elise Saoutieff, Tiziana Polichetti, Laurent Jouanet, Adrien Faucon, Audrey Vidal, Alexandre Pereira, Sébastien Boisseau, Thomas Ernst, Maria Lucia Miglietta, Brigida Alfano, Ettore Massera, Saverio De Vito, Do Hanh Ngan Bui, Philippe Benech, Tan-Phu Vuong, Carmen Moldovan, Yann Danlee, Thomas Walewyns, Sylvain Petre, Denis Flandre, Armands Ancans, Modris Greitans, Adrian M. Ionescu. "A Wearable Low-Power Sensing Platform for Environmental and Health Monitoring: The Convergence Project", Sensors 2021. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/s21051802
- Justs, D., Novickis, R., Ozols, K., Greitāns M. (2020). Bird's-eye view image acquisition from simulated scenes using geometric inverse perspective mapping. 17th Biennial Baltic Electronics Conference (BEC2020), Tallinn, Estonia.
- R.Novickis, D.J. Justs, K.Ozols and M.Greitāns "An Approach of Feed-Forward Neural Network Throughput-Optimized Implementation in FPGA", Electronics journal: Special Issue Advanced AI Hardware Designs Based on FPGAs, 2020
- Judvaitis, J., Nesenbergs, K., Balass, R. and Greitans, M., 2019. Challenges of DevOps ready IoT Testbed. In MDE4IoT/ModComp@ MoDELS (pp. 3-6).
- Arents, Janis, Modris Greitans, and Bernd Lesser. "Construction of a Smart Vision-Guided Robot System for Manipulation in a Dynamic Environment." Artificial Intelligence for Digitising Industry; River Publishers: Gistrup, Denmark (2021): 205-220. https://www.riverpublishers.com/pdf/ebook/chapter/RP_9788770226639C18.pdf
- Janis Arents, Modris Greitans. 2022. "Smart Industrial Robot Control Trends, Challenges and Opportunities within Manufacturing" Applied Sciences 12, no. 2: 937. https://doi.org/10.3390/app12020937
- Ahluwalia Vaibhav, Arents Janis, Oraby Aly, Greitans Modris. Construction and benchmark of an autonomous tracked mobile robot system. Robotic Systems and Applications, Jan. 2022. (in Press). https://doi.org/10.21595/rsa.2022.22336
- Arents, J., Lesser, B., Bizuns, A., Kadikis, R., Buls, E., Greitans, M. (2022). Synthetic Data of Randomly Piled, Similar Objects for Deep Learning-Based Object Detection. In: Sclaroff, S., Distante, C., Leo, M., Farinella, G.M., Tombari, F. (eds) Image Analysis and Processing – ICIAP 2022. ICIAP 2022. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 13232. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-031-06430-2_59
- Racinskis, Peteris, Janis Arents, and Modris Greitans. 2022. "A Motion Capture and Imitation Learning Based Approach to Robot Control" Applied Sciences 12, no. 14: 7186. https://doi.org/10.3390/app12147186
- LR patents Nr. 15308 “Mobila ierīce bezvadu sensoru tīklu un to mezglu efektīvai izstrādei mērķa vide”
- LR patents Nr. 14767 “Simetriskas ultra-platjoslas (UWB) antenas triecienierosmes impulsa formētājs”
- LR patents Nr. 14622 “Zigzag antena, kas konstruktīvi ir sajūgta ar koaksiālo kabeli”
- LR patents Nr. 14280 “Pikosekunžu impulsu formētājs ar IMPATT diodi”
- LR patents Nr. 13770 “Metode un ierīce signāla laika-frekvences reprezentācijas paaugstinātas izšķirtspējas iegūšanai”
- Patent No. EP2695297 (B1) “Ultra-wideband sharpener for excitation a symmeric antenna”
- Patent No. EP2700054 B1 “System and method for video-based vehicle detection”
- Patent No. EP 2695104 B1 “Biometric authentication apparatus and biometric authentication method”