Dr.sc.comp. Modris Greitāns has been working at EDI since 1990. Director of the Institute since 2007 (2015-2019 – Scientific Director). Doctor degree obtained in 2000 by defending PhD thesis “Reconstruction of non-uniformly sampled signals “. In 2012, elected as corresponding and, in 2018, as a full member of Latvian Academy of Science (LAS).
Research topics include signal and image processing, artificial intelligence, Internet of Things, smart transport, future and personalized medicine (intelligent wearable sensor systems), digitalization of Industry4.0 etc.
2014-2017 he led the National Research Program in ICT “Cyberphysical Systems, Ontologies and Biophotonics for Safe & Intelligent city and society” (SOPHIS), which has an important section devoted to smart embedded cooperative systems for innovative technological development. Since 1992 experience in managing and implementation of more than 20 international and more than 20 Latvian research projects, including ongoing Horizon2020 projects 5G-Route (dedicated to validate through robust evidence the latest 5G features of Connected and Automated Mobility (CAM) under realistic conditions), ENACT (dedicated to reliable and trustable operations and developments on next generation IoT), AI4DI (dedicated to use of artificial intelligence in digital industry) as well as LV-LT-TW project “RoVAM” (dedicated to smart micro-robots systems for manipulating with separate cells).
The total number of published works is more than 120, incl. 77 publications in the SCOPUS database (H-index 10); 3 registered European patents and 5 Latvian patents. Supervisor of five defended PhD and 25 master’s thesis.
Eizens Arins Award (“Eižena Ārina balva” – the most prestigious award in the Latvian information technology field, which highlights the most outstanding professionals who have made a significant theoretical contribution in computer science and practical investment by developing and implementing innovative IT solutions) in 2018;
Top Latvian science achievements, Diploma of the President of the Latvian Academy of Sciences for “An original approach for transforming the architecture of artificial neural network into Field-programmable gate array” (co-author), 2018.
Top Latvian science achievements, Diploma of the President of the Latvian Academy of Sciences for “First trips of a self-driving car in Latvian history” (co-author), 2017;
European IT Prize winner “DASP-lab system” (co-author), 1997.
Editor-in-chief of Journal “Automatic Control and Computer science”, Foreign Secretary and Board member of Latvian Academy of Science, Board member of Association of State Research Institutes, Member of the EDI Scientific Council, Latvian representative in Governing Board of the ECSEL Joint Undertaking, Member of the RTU Council of Promotion in Electronics and Telecommunications.
Participation in projects
- Advancing fail-aware, fail-safe, and fail-operational electronic components, systems, and architectures for highly and fully automated driving to make future mobility safer, more efficient, affordable, and end-user acceptable (AUTODRIVE) #H2020
- Integrated Components for Complexity Control in Affordable Electrified Cars (3Ccar) #H2020
- Trustworthy and Smart Actuation in IoT systems (ENACT) #H2020
- Ultra-wideband impulse radar Sensor (UPIRS) #ESIF
- Dependable Embedded Wireless Infrastructure (DEWI) #ESIF
- Pētījums par datorredzes paņēmienu attīstību industrijas procesu norises automatizācijai (DIPA) #ESIF
- 1.25: Research on development of mathematical model for silicon crystal growing technological process by using image processing methods (SiKA) #Contract research (Līgumpētījumi)
- Cyber-physical systems, ontologies and biophotonics for safe&smart city and society (VPP SOPHIS) #SRP (VPP)
- Project Nr.2 “Innovative signal processing technologies for smart and effective electronic system development” (IMIS) #SRP (VPP)
- Palm data acquisition and processing system (PALMs) #ESIF
- Contract research about image processing algorithm creation for recognizing of symbols combination in video stream (KoDe) #Contract research (Līgumpētījumi)
- Multimodal biometric technology for safe and easy person authentication (BiTe) #ESIF
- R&D Center for Smart Sensors and Networked Embedded Systems (VieSenTIS) #ESIF
- Development and energy consumption optimization of embedded and RFID systems based on innovative DSP technologies #LCS (LZP)
- Signal processing methods for advancements of radio frequency identification (RFID) technology #LCS (LZP)
- Development of tools for direct digital alias-free processing of RF and microwave signals with demonstrations of their application potential #LCS (LZP)
- Actions providing access to DASP technology for digital designing of Microwave and Radio Frequency IST systems #LCS (LZP)
- Development of multi-channel systems for acquisition of data from biomedical, ecological and industrial systems and transferring them to computerized systems #ESIF
- Modular High Speed X-ray Detection and Sorting Systems for Production Process Control and Packaging Quality Control #ESIF
- DASP pielietojumu pētījumi konkurētspējīgu virtuālo instrumentu izstrādei #ESIF
- Irregularized Digital Signal Processing in Telecommunications #ESIF
- Artificial Intelligence for Digitizing Industry (AI4DI) #H2020
- 5th Generation connected and automated mobility cross-border EU trials (5G-Routes) #H2020
- AI-based analysis of multi-static UWB-IR radar signals for non-destructive estimation of materials and structure (MIRSA) #H2020
The most important publications
- Justs, D., Novickis, R., Ozols, K., Greitāns M. (2020). Bird's-eye view image acquisition from simulated scenes using geometric inverse perspective mapping. 17th Biennial Baltic Electronics Conference (BEC2020), Tallinn, Estonia.
- M.Greitans. Spectral analysis based on signal dependent transformation. The 2005 International Workshop on Spectral Methods and Multirate Signal Processing (SMMSP 2005), Riga, Latvia, June 20-22, 2005., pp. 179-184.
- M. Greitans. “Processing of Non-Stationary Signal Using Level-Crossing Sampling”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Signal Processing and Multimedia Applications „SIGMAP2006” Setubal, Portugal, Aug. 2006., pp 170-177.
- M.Greitans, R.Shavelis. Speech sampling by level-crossing and its reconstruction using spline-based filtering. 14th International Conference IWSSIP 2007, Maribor, Slovenia, June 2007.
- M.Greitans. Discrete Wigner-Ville distribution in nonuniform sampling case, 7th International Conference SampTA 2007, Thessaloniki, Greece, June 2007, published on CD.
- M.Greitans. Time-Frequency Analysis of Non-uniformly Sampled Signals. Proceedings of the “2007 Workshop on Digital Alias-free Signal Processing” (WDASP’07), 17 April 2007, London, UK, pp. 24-30.
- M.Greitans, E.Hermanis. “Three-phase” Representation of Harmonic Signals for Application to Non-contact Diagnostics of Electric Power Transmission Lines. Proceedings of the International Symposium ELMAR-2008, Zadar, Croatia, September 10-12, 2008, pp. 427-430.
- M.Greitans, M.Pudzs, R.Fuksis. „Object Analysis in Images Using Complex 2d Matched Filters”, Proceedings of the IEEE Region 8 Conference EUROCON 2009. Saint–Petersburg, Russia, May, 2009., pp. 1392-1397.
- M.Greitans, R.Shavelis, “Signal-Dependent Techniques for Non-Stationary Signal Sampling and Reconstruction”, 17th European Signal Processing Conference EUSIPCO 2009. Glasgow, Scotland. Aug., 2009., pp. 2613-2617.
- M. Greitans, E. Hermanis, A. Selivanovs “Sensor Based Diagnosis of Three-Phase Power Transmission Lines”. „Electronics and Electrical Engineering”- Kaunas: Technologija, 2009.g. No. 6 (94), pp.23-26.
- R.Fuksis, M.Greitans, O.Nikisins, M.Pudzs. „Infrared Imaging System for Analysis of Blood Vessel Structure” „Electronics and Electrical Engineering”- Kaunas: Technologija, 2010, No.1(97), pp.45-48. .
- M. Greitans, M. Pudzs, R. Fuksis. ”Palm Vein Biometrics Based on Infrared Imaging and Complex Matched Filtering”, The 12th ACM Multimedia and Security Workshop MM&Sec, Rome, Italy, 9-10, September 2010.g. pp. 101-106.
- Modris Greitans, Evalds Hermanis, Gatis Supols. “Analytic Model and Bilateral Approximation for Clocked Comparator”, 7th IEEE International Conference on Signals and Electronic Systems - ICSES 2010, Glivice, Polija, 7-10. September 2010.g. pp.185-188.
- M.Pudzs, M.Greitans, R.Fuksis. "Generalized Complex 2D Matched Filtering for Local Regular Line-Like Feature Detection". 19th European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO 2011), Barcelona, Spain, August 29 - September 2, 2011.
- M.Pudzs, M.Greitans, R.Fuksis. "Complex 2D Matched Filtering Without Halo Artifacts". 18th International Conference on Systems, Signals and Image Processing, IWSSIP 2011, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, June 16-18, 2011, pp. 109-112.
- K.Ozols, M.Greitans, R.Shavelis. "EEG Data Acquisition System Based on Asynchronous Sigma-Delta Modulator", The 13th Biennial Baltic Electronics Conference BEC2012, Tallinn, Estonia, Oct. 3-5, 2012.
- R. Shavelis, M. Greitans „Signal Sampling According to Time-Varying Bandwidth”, Proc. of the 20th European Signal Processing Conference EUSIPCO 2012, Bucharest, Romania, Aug., 2012., pp. 1164-1168.
- O. Nikisins, M. Greitans. Local binary patterns and neural network based technique for robust face detection and localization. Proceedings of the Special Interest Group on Biometrics and Electronic Signatures (BIOSIG 2012), Status: accepted, September 2012.
- M.Greitans and R.Shavelis, “Extended Fourier series for time-varying filtering and reconstruction from level-crossing samples”, EUSIPCO 2013, Marrakech, Morocco, 9-13 September, 2013.
- Mihails Pudzs, Rihards Fuksis, Rinalds Ruskuls, Davis Barkans, Teodors Eglitis and Modris Greitans „FPGA Implementation of CMF for Embedded Palm Biometric System”, 21st European Signal Processing Conference, EUSIPCO 2013, Marrakech, Morocco, September 9-13, 2013
- K.Ozols, M.Greitans, R.Shavelis. "Amplitude Adaptive Asynchronous Sigma-Delta Modulator", 8th International Symposium on Image and Signal Processing and Analysis (ISPA 2013), Trieste, Italy, September 4-6, 2013 Conference Proceedings pp.460-464
- Harijs Grinbergs, Artis Mednis, and Modris Greitans. Real-time object tracking in 3D space using mobile platform with passive stereo vision system. N. Tagoug (Ed.): Proceedings of World Congress on Multimedia and Computer Science (WCMCS 2013), pp. 60-68, 2013. Association of Computer Electronics and Electrical Engineers, 2013.
- G. Gaigals, M. Greitans and A. Andziulis, "Compressive Sensing: Analysis of Signals in Radio Astronomy", Baltic Astronomy, vol.22, pp. 347-361, 2013
- PUDZS, M., GREITANS, M., 2014 Rotation-Invariant Object Detection Using Complex Matched Filters and Second Order Vector Fields, The 22nd European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO 2014), Sept.
- NIKISINS, O., NASROLLAHI, K., GREITANS, M. and MOESLUND, T.B., 2014. RGB-D-T based face recognition, Proceedings - International Conference on Pattern Recognition 2014, pp. 1716-1721.
- PUDZS, M., FUKSIS, R., MUCINIEKS, A., GREITANS, M. 2015. Complex Matched Filter for Line Detection, Proc. of ISPA 2015 conference.
- NIKISINS, O., EGLITIS, T., PUDZS, M., GREITANS, M., 2015. Algorithms for a Novel Touchless Bimodal Palm Biometric System, The 8-th International Conference on Biometrics (ICB-2015), May 2015. (IEEE)
- Simón, M.O., Corneanu, C., Nasrollahi, K., Nikisins, O., Escalera, S., Sun, Y., Li, H., Sun, Z., Moeslund, T.B. & Greitans, M. 2016, "Improved RGB-D-T based face recognition", IET Biometrics, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 297-303.
- HERMANIS, A., CACURS, R. and GREITANS, M., 2016. Acceleration and Magnetic Sensor Network for Shape Sensing. IEEE Sensors Journal, 16(5), pp. 1271-1280.
- R. Novickis, M. Greitāns, "FPGA Master based on chip communications architecture for Cyclone V SoC running Linux", IEEE-2018 International Conference on Control, Decision and Information Technologies (CoDIT), Thessaloniki, Greeze 2018
- R.Novickis, D.J. Justs, K.Ozols and M.Greitāns "An Approach of Feed-Forward Neural Network Throughput-Optimized Implementation in FPGA", Electronics journal: Special Issue Advanced AI Hardware Designs Based on FPGAs, 2020
- Judvaitis, J., Nesenbergs, K., Balass, R. and Greitans, M., 2019. Challenges of DevOps ready IoT Testbed. In MDE4IoT/ModComp@ MoDELS (pp. 3-6). doi:
- K. Nesenbergs, A. Hermanis, M. Greitans, " A Method for Segment Based Surface Reconstruction from Discrete Inclination Values", 17th International Conference ELECTRONICS 2013, Palanga, Lithuania, June 17-19, 2013. 4 lpp. (ISI, EBSCO)
- A. Hermanis, R. Cacurs, K. Nesenbergs un M. Greitans. "Efficient Real-Time Data Acquisition of Wired Sensor Network with Line Topology", 2013 IEEE Conference on Open Systems, 2-4 dec., 6lpp. doi: 10.1109/ICOS.2013.6735062
- LR patents Nr. 15308 “Mobila ierīce bezvadu sensoru tīklu un to mezglu efektīvai izstrādei mērķa vide”
- LR patents Nr. 14767 “Simetriskas ultra-platjoslas (UWB) antenas triecienierosmes impulsa formētājs”
- LR patents Nr. 14622 “Zigzag antena, kas konstruktīvi ir sajūgta ar koaksiālo kabeli”
- LR patents Nr. 14280 “Pikosekunžu impulsu formētājs ar IMPATT diodi”
- LR patents Nr. 13770 “Metode un ierīce signāla laika-frekvences reprezentācijas paaugstinātas izšķirtspējas iegūšanai”
- Patent No. EP2695297 (B1) “Ultra-wideband sharpener for excitation a symmeric antenna”
- Patent No. EP2700054 B1 “System and method for video-based vehicle detection”
- Patent No. EP 2695104 B1 “Biometric authentication apparatus and biometric authentication method”