Space technology laboratory
Laboratory was founded in 1976, providing R&D activity related to high-precision time measurement and custom designs of application-specific time measurement systems providing the highest precision available at that time. Up to the beginning of 1990s several large-scale R&D projects have been completed, about 40 inventions made and about 250 papers published. Currently Lab staff consists of 13 researchers with various specializations (theory of signal processing, electronic engineering, programming, switching circuit design, etc), including 7 specialists with doctoral degree.
Research in the area of DASP technology in 1990 – 2000th has led to a innovative DSP-based technology for the high-precision event timing. The DSP-based approach developed under the leadership Yury Artyukh not only provides for excellent performance characteristics of event timers but it also leads to almost full replacement of the highly specialized hardware by typical DSP facilities, reducing the hardware implementation cost. A family of Riga Event Timers was developed and made on the basis of this approach. An attractive price-performance ratio makes these instruments quite competitive as compared to the other instruments similar in functionality and quality. These Event Timers are widely used around the world in KHz Satellite Laser Ranging and provide the millimetre ranging accuracy.
In 2011 on the base of Licensee Agreement the rights for manufacturing and distributing of A033-ET are transferred to Eventech Ltd (Latvia). Up to now Eventech has sold more than 60 A033-ET to USA, China, Germany, Finland, England, Austria, Poland, Lithuania, Russia, Korea, Japan. Eventech carries out the market research of application of event timers, not only in Satellite Laser Ranging but also in other fields of science and technology and has found their application in gravimetry, 3D-scan systems, TOF-spectrometry and others.
Accordingly to the current Lab activity, there are three basic R&D directions, each provided by stand-alone scientific group respectively:
- Development of innovative technologies for High-precision Event Timing
- Development of technology for Digital Alias-free Signal Processing
- Development of image processing algorithms and their implementation
Among the common-used facilities, the Lab is well equipped by specialized high-performance instrumentation just for the noted researches. Basically the Lab activity is funded in the framework of national R&D programs. In addition, specific scientific services and products available on contract basis are offered.
LR patents 15326. Analogu signālu paātrināta pārraides metode ar impuls-platuma modulāciju un demodulāciju ar sekojošu filtrēšanu, balstītu uz impulsu platuma-fāzes pārveidojumiem. Izgudrotāji: V. Bespalko, I. Bilinskis, J. Buls.
- Project Nr.2 “Innovative signal processing technologies for smart and effective electronic system development” (IMIS) #SRP (VPP)
- Experimental development of Multi-functional Time Analyser (SiLA) #ESIF
- Universal time event recorder for SLR, LiDAR and 3-D scan applications (LaReg) #ESIF
- On-board implementation of the multi-purpose Event Timer (MPET) #ESA
- High precision synchronous timing in widely distributed scientific instrumentation (DaLaS) #ESIF
- DASP pielietojumu pētījumi konkurētspējīgu virtuālo instrumentu izstrādei #ESIF
- Parallel Computing for Real-Time High-Resolution Randomized Reconstruction of Backscattered Laser-Doppler Signals #ESIF
- Development of tools for direct digital alias-free processing of RF and microwave signals with demonstrations of their application potential #ESIF
- Actions providing access to DASP technology for digital designing of Microwave and Radio Frequency IST systems #ESIF
- Yu. Artyukh, E. Boole, V. Vedin. Instrumentation for Creating KHz SLR Timing Systems. Proceedings of the 15th International Workshop on Laser Ranging, Canberra, Australia, October 16-20, 2006.
- Ю.Артюх, В.Беспалько, Е.Буль. Ошибки нелинейности прецизионного таймирования событий. //Автоматика и вычислительная техника, № 4, 2008, с. 37-45. (English edition: Yu. Artyukh, V. Bespal’ko, E. Boole. Non-linearity errors of high-precision event timing // Automatic Control and Computer Sciences, Vol. 42, No. 4, 2008, pp. 191-196).
- Yu.Artyukh, V.Bespal’ko, E.Boole, V.Vedin. “Advances of High-precision Riga Event Timers”, Proceedings of the 16th International Workshop on Laser Ranging, Poznan, Poland, 2009, vol.2. pp.398-403.
- Yu.Artyukh, E.Boole. Jitter Measurement on the Basis of High-precision Event Timer, Metrology and Measurement Systems, 2011, No.3, pp.453-460.
- V.Vedin. “Advanced Design of DSP-based High Precision Event Timer”, “Electronics and Electrical Engineering”, Kaunas: Technologija,, 2009, No.6(94), pp.35-38.
- BILINSKIS, I.; BOOLE, E.; SKAGERIS, A. 2015. Data acquisition and transmission based on application of high performance Event Timers. “1-st International IEEE Conference on Advances in Wireless and Optical Communications 2015", pp. c1-c14. (Book with ISBN number will be issued by RTU Publishing House in 2015)
- Boole E., Buraks I., Vershinin A., Spunde R. Extension of event timer A033-ET family “20th International Workshop on Laser Ranging October 9-14, 2016
- Signal Transmission and Representation Based on High Performance Event Timing
- I.Mednieks, I.Bilinskis, E.Boole “Specific Signal Representation for Transmission and Processing based on Precise Event Timing”, 16th Biennial Baltic Electronics Conference (BEC2018), Oct 8, 2018 - Oct 10, 2018 Tallinn, Estonia
- Yu. Artyukh, V.Bespalko, A.Rybakov, V.Vedin. Advanced time interval counter & analyzer based on EET-method application. - Proceedings of the 1999 International Workshop on Sampling Theory and Application, August 11-14, 1999, Loen, Norway, pp.194-197.
- Yu. Artyukh, V. Bespalko, K. Lapushka, A. Rybakov. PMT signals caused range-bias correction at the SLR Station Riga-1884. 12th International Workshop on Laser Ranging. Matera, Italy, 13-17 November 2000.
- Yu. Artyukh, V. Bespal’ko, E. Boole. Statistical Approach to Linearity Evaluation of High-precision Event Timers. Electronics and Electrical Engineering, 2006, Nr. 4(68), p. 73-76.
- V.Bespal’ko. “A Nanosecond Pulse Amplitude-to-Time Interval Converter”, “Instruments and Experimental Techniques”, 2009, Vol. 52, No. 2, pp.204–206.
- V.A. Bespalko, E.S. Bul. An Estimate of the Jitter of Test Generator Usig Time-Measuring Apparatus. Measurement Techniques, Vol.54, No 6, 2011.
- V. Bespal'ko, E. Boole, and J. Savarovskiy. An Instability Estimation of Precision Time Intervals. Instruments and Experimental Techniques, 2012, Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 377-382.
- V. A. Bespal’ko and A. S. Rybakov, “Correlation Method for Estimation of Event Timing Precision”, “Automatic Control and Computer Sciences” – AC&CS, Allerton Press, Inc., Vol.47, Number 1, 2013, pp. 38-47. В.А. Беспалько и А.С. Рыбаков, „Корреляционный метод оценки точности таймирования событий”, ”Автоматика и вычислительная техника” – АВТ, Выпуск No. 1, 2013 (Vol. 47) с. 53-65.
- V. A. Bespal’ko, E. S. Boole, A. S. Rybakov. The use of the correlation method in evaluating the accuracy characteristics of precision instruments // Automatic Control and Computer Sciences. 2013, Volume 47, № 5, pp 276-282.
- MEZERINS, A., BESPALKO, V., 2015. Estimation of Analog-to-time and Time-to-digital Conversion Efficiency in Analog Optical Communication System Testbed. Proc. of Advances in Wireless and Optical Communications 2015 (RTUWO'), Riga, November 5, 6, pp. b1-b4.
- Modernization of Event Timer RTS 2006. V.Bespal’ko, K. Salmins, I. Buraks 21st International Workshop on Laser Ranging, Canberra, Australia, November 04-09, 2018
- LR patents LV 15284 “NOTIKUMA TAIMERIS AR SISTEMĀTISKĀS TAIMĒŠANAS KĻŪDAS STABILIZĀCIJU”. Izgudrotāji: V. Bespalko, J. Buls, I.Buraks, V. Vedins. Īpašnieks: Elektronikas un datorzinātņu institūts, publicēts LR Patentu valdes oficiālā vēstnesī, No 11, 2017, ir spēkā no 21.09.2017
- Bespalko V., Boole E., Buraks I., Vershinin A., Spunde R. The event timer A033-ET family for SLR automation “2017 ILRS Technical Workshop, October 2 – 5 in Riga, Latvia”
- A. Rybakov. Multiple-scale analysis of signals in the analysis of the precision of computerized event timers. // Automatic Control and Computer sciences, 1999. Vol. 33, No.6, p.19-26.
- A. Rybakov. Wavelet decomposition and fractal analysis for joint measurements of lidar signal delay and amplitude. // Automatic Control and Computer sciences, 2001. Vol. 35, No.3, p.11-19.
- A. Ribakov „Compression Functions Used in the Algorithms for the Estimation of Signal Arrival Time under High-Precision Event Timing” “Automatic Control and Computer Sciences” Vol.46, Number 6, 2012 , Allerton Press, Inc. pp. 288-298. A.Рыбаков. „Использование сжимающих функций в алгоритмах оценивания времени прихода сигналов при прецизионном таймировании событий”. - ”Автоматика и вычислительная техника” - АВТ, Выпуск No.6, 2012, с.69-82.
- RYBAKOV, A.S., 2014. Sampling and recovery of angle-modulated signals on the basis of the compressed sensing and event timing techniques. Automatic Control and Computer Sciences, 48(3), pp. 167-179.
- RYBAKOV, A.S., VEDIN, V., 2015. Signal processing in a precision event timer with interpolation based on phase measurement. Automatic Control and Computer Sciences, Volume 49, Issue 3, pp. 177-188 (2015).
- K.Ozols, M.Greitans, R.Shavelis. "Amplitude Adaptive Asynchronous Sigma-Delta Modulator", 8th International Symposium on Image and Signal Processing and Analysis (ISPA 2013), Trieste, Italy, September 4-6, 2013 Conference Proceedings pp.460-464
- A. S. Rybakov. Demodulation of Frequency-Modulated Signals by Pseudorandomly Selected Zero-Crossing Instants. // Automatic Control and Computer Sciences, 2018, Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 77–88.
- A. S. Rybakov. Sampling and Estimating the Waveform of Analog Signals Based on Precision Event Timing. // Automatic Control and Computer Sciences, 2019, Vol. 53, No. 2, pp. 107–115.
- V. Bespalko, I. Burak, K. Salmins. Estimating the Precision of a Leading-Edge Discriminator with Amplitude Correction. Instruments and Experimental Techniques, Nov. 2019, Vol. 62 Issue 6, p788-793. 6p. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1134/S0020441219060022