Signal processing laboratory
The laboratory was established in 1972 and is engaged in theoretical research and practical development of digital signal processing systems, including the development of specific techniques and applications in analog-to-digital signal conversion. The work of the laboratory during these years is reflected in more than 200 publications, conference presentations, and monographs.
Currently, 24 people are working in the laboratory, including 3 lead researchers, 4 researchers, 7 assistants.
Research and development areas:
- Virtual instruments based on advanced DSP technologies;
- Program-controlled radio devices, including those based on non-uniform sampling;
- Signal-dependent analysis of non-stationary signals, event-driven analog-to-digital conversions;
- Biometrics and brain signal processing;
- Microminiaturization of data acquisition and processing systems;
- Smart sensor and networked embedded system signal processing;
- Wireless sensor network systems, including sensor module hardware architecture, communication protocols, operating systems and application-oriented software;
- Applications of directional antenna arrays in wireless sensor networks;
- Transistor based UWB pulse generators and receivers.
Currently, 2 groups have been formed in the laboratory focusing on the development of wearable sensor systems and the development of ultra-wideband radar technology.
Wearable sensor group is working on wearable sensor system development with potential applications in medicine, sport and daily activities. Mainly systems are based on inertial sensors, but the group has also experience with bioelectric signals (ECG, EMG, EEG). Within group novel wired communication solution has been developed that allows data acquisition from several hundred sensors, using minimal wiring. The solution is further developed beyond the field of wearable sensor systems for monitoring the deformations of constructions.
Examples of developed technologies:
- 3D shape reconstruction fabric: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDG0ERF2_d8
- human body motion model 3D reconstruction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAFCrMgJrmI
- human-computer interface development for people with disabilities: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfiS01VfavU
Group competencies-expertise: sensor system development, inertial sensors, low power sensor system development, PCB design, Flexible PCB design, digital communication interfaces, Bluetooth and Bluetooth Low Energy communication in application level, inertial signal processing, bio-electric signal processing, machine learning algorithms, 3D visualization, simulations, software development for smart devices (Android OS smartphones, tablets) in wearable sensor context.
The Ultra wideband (UWB) radar team is working on research and development of equivalent time conversion radar systems, resulting in both different unique solutions to improve radar performance and efficiency and several patents and publications on UWB signal generation, reception, processing, etc. Also, the group has developed a UWB radar device, which is used to study various UWB radar applications, such as:
- through wall measurements;
- ice thickness measurements;
- observation of non-contact signs of life (breathing, heartbeat);
- time domain reflectometry;
- antenna time domain measurements;
- measurements of material parameters.
- Sensorial Clothes for Accurate Physical Exercise and Instant Feedback (SCAPE-IF) #ESIF
- Automated railway level crossing control system (PAKS) part 2 #ESIF
- Automated railway level crossing control system (PAKS) #ESIF
- Contactless ice thickness measurement device (EDI-ICE) part 2 #ESIF
- Contactless ice thickness measurement device (EDI-ICE) #ESIF
- AI-based analysis of multi-static UWB-IR radar signals for non-destructive estimation of materials and structure (MIRSA) #ESIF
- 3D shape sensing fabric (3D FABRIC) #ESIF
- Arrowhead-Tools for Engineering of Digitalisation Solutions (Arrowhead-Tools) #H2020
- Cyber-physical systems, ontologies and biophotonics for safe&smart city and society (GUDPILS) #SRP (VPP)
- DASP pielietojumu pētījumi konkurētspējīgu virtuālo instrumentu izstrādei #ESIF
- Integrated Components for Complexity Control in Affordable Electrified Cars (3Ccar) #H2020
- Intelligent Motion Control Platform for Smart Mechatronic Systems (I-MECH) #H2020
- Projekts Nr.3 „Oriģinālu signālu apstrādes paņēmienu izveide un izpēte konkurētspējīgu IT tehnoloģiju radīšanai” #SRP (VPP)
- Research of a new electronic sound processing equipment structure for professional active acoustic system with megaphone type sounds emitter using the multi-band high-precision digital FIR filters and D-class amps (SKANDA) #Contract research (Līgumpētījumi)
- Technology for development of nanopulse cyber-physical system for ground subsurface noninvasive inspection. (NanoKS) #ESIF
- Project Nr.2 “Innovative signal processing technologies for smart and effective electronic system development” (IMIS) #SRP (VPP)
- High sensitivity superwideband radar technology (LoTe) #ESIF
- Smart City Technologies for Human Lives Improvements (ViPTeh) #ESIF
- Research project No 1.10: (Implementation of the research Nr.1.10. „Research on the reconstruction technology of the volumetric three-dimensional images” with economic activity related, delegated industrial research part “Transformation of the DICOM standard image data for the 3D spatial image display (3DAtA) #Contract research (Līgumpētījumi)
- Pētījums par datorredzes paņēmienu attīstību industrijas procesu norises automatizācijai (DIPA) #ESIF
- Frictionless Energy Efficient Convergent Wearables For Healthcare and Lifestyle Applications (CONVERGENCE) #Chist-era / Flag-era
- Artificial Intelligence for Digitizing Industry (AI4DI) #H2020
- Vision, Identification, with Z-sensing Technology and key Applications (VIZTA) #H2020
- Ultra-wideband impulse radar Sensor (UPIRS) #ESIF
- Development of technologies for cyber physical systems with applications in medicine and smart transport (KiFiS) #SRP (VPP)
- Dynamic land use monitoring (NevKlas) #ESIF
- Satellite remote sensing- based forest stock estimation technology (WoodStock) #ESIF
- Cyber-physical systems, ontologies and biophotonics for safe&smart city and society (VPP SOPHIS) #SRP (VPP)
- Innovative technologies for acquisition and processing of biomedical images (InBiT) #ESIF
- R&D Center for Smart Sensors and Networked Embedded Systems (VieSenTIS) #ESIF
- ACKCIO contract research project #Contract research (Līgumpētījumi)
- Body-Coupled Communication for Body Area Networks (BCC) #LCS (LZP)
- Technology for high-precision time-amplitude analysis of event flow (TIME-AMP) #LCS (LZP)
- Aristov, V. (2020). Research of Indirect Method of Measuring the Pulse Generator Output Resistance by the Step Recovery Diode. 2020 24th International Conference Electronics. doi: 10.1109/IEEECONF49502.2020.9141617
- Aristov, V. (2020) Mathematical Analysis of the Nanosecond Pulse Generator on Two SRD Diodes Used in UWB Radars. Automatic Control and Computer Sciences, 54(3), 271-278. doi: 10.3103/S0146411620030013
- Shavelis, R., Ozols, K. (2020) Bluetooth Low Energy Wireless Sensor Network Library in MATLAB Simulink. Journal of Sensor and Actuator Network, 9 (3), 38. doi: 10.3390/jsan9030038
- R.Shavelis, K.Ozols, M.Greitans, V.Fescenko, "Performance of Adaptive Filters for Predicting the Future Values of the Vehicle Sideslip Angle", The 16th Biennial Baltic Electronics Conference BEC2018, Tallinn, Estonia, Oct. 8-10, 2018.
- V. Aristov. T.Laimina “ The Use Of The Karhunen Loeve Transformation To Form The Speech Data For Their Subsequent Wiring To Sound By Probing Sound Source By An Ultra-Wideband Pulse Locator” , Žurnāls Austria-science, № 17/ 2018, pp.22-28. The possibility of applying the first principal component of the Karunen-Loeve transformation is developed to form the speech data for their subsequent wiring to sound when a sound source (speaking person) is probed with an ultrawideband pulse locator.
- V. Aristov. Mathematical Description of the Operation of a Step-Recovery-Diode-Based Pulse Generator Circuit. Automatic Control and Computer Sciences, 2018, No. 6. The paper describes the operation of a classic step-recovery-diode-based pulse generator circuit using differential equations. The circuit has parasitic inductances and capacitors for both circuit elements and the diode in addition to standard discrete elements necessary for pumping the diode and generating a sharp edge. The results are compared with experimental data.
- V. Aristov. Influence of Nonlinearity of Fast Sawtooth Voltage on Stroboscopic Transformation of Signals in Receivers of Sensors Locators. Automatic Control and Computer Sciences, 2019, Vol.53, No. 4, pp. 291-297.
- Bluetooth Low Energy Throughput in Densely Deployed Radio Environment
- Jānis Ārents, Ričards Cacurs, Modris Greitans, "Integration of Computervision and Artificial Intelligence Subsystems with Robot Operating System Based Motion Planning for Industrial Robots", Automatic Control and Computer Sciences Journal, Volume 52, Issue 5, 2018
- Vaviļina, E., G. Gaigals. "Highly Reconfigurable Beamformer Stimulus Generator." Latvian Journal of Physics and Technical Sciences 55.1, 53-63, 2018.
- LR patent Nr. 15529 A "ANTENNA SYSTEM FOR UNDERGROUND RADAR WITH LOCATION OF THE ANTENNAS OPPOSITE EACH OTHER"
- Patent No. EP2695297 (B1) “Ultra-wideband sharpener for excitation a symmeric antenna”
- European Patent No. EP3093992 A1 "An input clocked comparator circuit of an equivalent time sampling converter"
- Latvian Patent No. 14641 “Equivalent time sampling convertor of comparator type"
- LR patents Nr. 14622 “Zigzag antena, kas konstruktīvi ir sajūgta ar koaksiālo kabeli”
- Latvian Patent No.14730. "Stroboscopic comparator"
- LR patents Nr. 14767 “Simetriskas ultra-platjoslas (UWB) antenas triecienierosmes impulsa formētājs”
- LR patents Nr. 14803. “Strobējams komparators ar aizkaves līniju”
- LR patents Nr.15068. “Stroboskopiskais pārveidotājs ultraplatjoslas radiolokācijas signālu atklāšanai”
- LR patents Nr.15273. "Ierīce attālināta kustībā esoša objekta lokalizēšanai"