Dr. Kaspars Ozols is a deputy director of development as well as senior researcher in Institute of Electronics and Computer Science (EDI) where he leads teams of engineers and researchers. He holds a Ph.D. in Electronics from Riga Technical University. He has been involved in various international projects related to development of novel data acquisition, transmission and signal processing methods and devices for different applications in the fields of transport, health, manufacturing, etc., including participation in 9 European joint research projects (in ARTEMIS, H2020, ECSEL, ERA-NET and COST programs). Expertise in ICT system simulation, modelling, design, development, implementation, testing and validation. Author of 11 scientific articles. Research interests includes Self-Driving/Autonomous cars, Cyber-Physical Systems, Signal Processing, Wireless Communications, Wireless Sensor Networks, Internet of Things, Embedded and Low Power solutions, Artificial intelligence, robotics, digitization of industry etc. He is also very active in international project proposal preparation. Has written, submitted and got funding for more than 15 different projects (mostly from the above mentioned programs).
Participation in projects
- Dependable Embedded Wireless Infrastructure (DEWI)
- Integrated Components for Complexity Control in Affordable Electrified Cars (3Ccar) #H2020
- Advancing fail-aware, fail-safe, and fail-operational electronic components, systems, and architectures for highly and fully automated driving to make future mobility safer, more efficient, affordable, and end-user acceptable (AUTODRIVE) #H2020
- Frictionless Energy Efficient Convergent Wearables For Healthcare and Lifestyle Applications (CONVERGENCE) #Chist-era / Flag-era
- Intelligent Motion Control Platform for Smart Mechatronic Systems (I-MECH) #H2020
- Programmable Systems for Intelligence in Automobiles (PRYSTINE) #H2020
- Digital Technologies, Advanced Robotics and increased Cyber-security for Agile Production in Future European Manufacturing Ecosystems (TRINITY) #H2020
- Advanced packaging for photonics, optics and electronics for low cost manufacturing in Europe (APPLAUSE) #H2020
- DIH-World – Accelerating deployment and matureness of DIHs for the benefit of Digitisation of European SMEs #H2020
The most important publications
- K.Ozols, M.Greitans, R.Shavelis. "EEG Data Acquisition System Based on Asynchronous Sigma-Delta Modulator", The 13th Biennial Baltic Electronics Conference BEC2012, Tallinn, Estonia, Oct. 3-5, 2012.
- OZOLS, K., 2014. Implementation of reception and real-time decoding of ASDM encoded and wirelessly transmitted signals. Microwave and Radio Electronics Week 2015 (MAREW2015), Pardubice, Czech Republic, April 21-23, 2015
- K.Ozols, M.Greitans, R.Shavelis. "Amplitude Adaptive Asynchronous Sigma-Delta Modulator", 8th International Symposium on Image and Signal Processing and Analysis (ISPA 2013), Trieste, Italy, September 4-6, 2013 Conference Proceedings pp.460-464
- SHAVELIS, R., OZOLS, K., GREITANS, M., 2014. Optimization of Filtering Scheme for Reduction of Loudspeaker Distortions, The 14th Biennial Baltic Electronics Conference BEC2014, Tallinn, Estonia, Oct. 6-8
- SHAVELIS, R., OZOLS, K., 2014. Design of FIR Decimation Filters with Low Group Delay for Audio Applications " The 14th Biennial Baltic Electronics Conference BEC2014, Tallinn, Estonia, Oct. 6-8
- SALMINS, A., OZOLS, K., RUSKULS, R., 2015. Data Management in TestBed for Large Scale Wireless Sensor Networks. RTUWO 2015: Advances in Wireless and Optical Communications, Riga, Latvia, November 5-6, 2015
- OZOLS., K, SHAVELIS., R, Amplitude Adaptive ASDM without Envelope Encoding, The 2016 European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO 2016), Budapest, Hungary, August 29 -September 2, 2016.
- Shavelis R., Ozols K., Greitans M., Amplitude Adaptive ASDM circuit, 2017 3rd International Conference on Event-Based Control, Communication and Signal Processing, Madeira, 2017
- Barkovskis N., Salmins A., Ozols K., García M.A.M., Ayuso F.P., WSN based on accelerometer, GPS and RSSI measurements for train integrity monitoring, 2017 4th International Conference on Control, Decision and Information Technologies, Barcelona, 2017
- R.Shavelis, K.Ozols, M.Greitans, V.Fescenko, "Performance of Adaptive Filters for Predicting the Future Values of the Vehicle Sideslip Angle", The 16th Biennial Baltic Electronics Conference BEC2018, Tallinn, Estonia, Oct. 8-10, 2018.
- Martin Čech, Arend-Jan Beltman , Kaspars Ozols. I-MECH – Smart System Integration for Mechatronic Applications. Published in: 2019 24th IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation (ETFA)
- Shavelis, R., Ozols, K. (2020) Bluetooth Low Energy Wireless Sensor Network Library in MATLAB Simulink. Journal of Sensor and Actuator Network, 9 (3), 38. doi: 10.3390/jsan9030038
- Novickis, R., Levinskis, A., Kadiķis, R., Feščenko. V., Ozols, K. (2020). Functional architecture for autonomous driving and its implementation. 17th Biennial Baltic Electronics Conference (BEC2020), Tallinn, Estonia.
- Justs, D., Novickis, R., Ozols, K., Greitāns M. (2020). Bird's-eye view image acquisition from simulated scenes using geometric inverse perspective mapping. 17th Biennial Baltic Electronics Conference (BEC2020), Tallinn, Estonia.